2013 Senior County League

Round 1: Listowel Emmets V John Mitchels in Frank Sheehy Park on Sat 27th April 7pm
Result: Listowel Emmest 0-13 John Mitchels 0-10
2013 Credit Union County Senior Football League Division 2 - Round 1
Listowel Emmets 0-13 John Mitchels 0-10
This game was played in perfect conditions. The sun shone brightly all evening and the pitch in Frank Sheehy Park was in immaculate condition.

John Mitchels won the throw in and attacked straight away. Their centre forward Alan O’Donoghue picked up possession and drove over the opening score after just 25 seconds. Listowel wasted no time in forming their 1st attack and Billy Doyle kicked over a beautiful point to bring the sides level in the 2nd minute. Both sides were moving the ball with great pace. John Mitchels were back in front in the 3rd minute when Alan O’Donoghue kicked over his 2nd point. Listowel raced forward again in the 4th minute and Noel Kennelly put over a well worked score to level the game once again. Jamie Moriarty kicked over a point for John Mitchels to ease them ahead again in the 5th minute. The John Mitchels forwards were looking very sharp when they attacked. Listowel were building their attacks from the half back line. More accurate passing going forward saw Noel Kennelly pick up possession and drive over his 2nd point of the game in the 8th minute to bring the sides level for the 3rd time. Both defences tightened up and the next score didn’t come until the 14th minute. John Mitchels won a sideline about 30 yards out. Niall Sheehy took it and kicked over a truly outstanding point to put the visitors ahead again. Michels had a great goal chance in the 15th minute but Listowel goalkeeper Shane Quinn made a brilliant save. A goal for Mitchels would have given them a healthy lead.

Listowel’s defence really got on top for the remainder of the half. Brendan Guiney in particular was having a great game. Conor Cox won and scored a free in the 20th minute to bring the sides level for the 4th time (0-04 – 0-04). This was Listowel’s 1st point in 12 minutes. 3 minutes later and it was Conor Cox again who weaved his way through the John Mitchels defence to kick over a beautiful point. This was Listowel’s 1st time being in the lead. Listowel attacked a few more times but the John Mitchels defence held firm. Listowel were dominating in a number of areas now but they couldn’t make it show on the scoreboard. In the 1st and only minute of 1st half injury time Conor Cox kicked over his 3rd point of the game to put the home side 2 points in front.

Half Time: Listowel Emmets 0-06 John Mitchels 0-04

John Mitchels got the 1st score of the 2nd half. Listowel conceded a free about 30 yards out near the sideline. Niall Sheehy stepped up, placed the ball on the ground and drove over another mighty point from a very awkward angle in the 31st minute. The visitors were looking more determined but the Listowel Emmets defence were sticking very tight to their men. Listowel won a free 40 yards out when a John Mitchels player was judged to have picked the ball up straight off the ground. Noel Kennelly took the free and drove over his 3rd point of the game in the 35th minute. 2 minutes later the gap was back to a point when Jamie Moriarty kicked over a free. This was a very tight game, which looked as if it could go either way. However Listowel started to get on top once again. Bryan Murphy kicked over a great point to put the home side 2 points in front in the 38th minute. Listowel’s full back Brendan Guiney raced forward up the field and gained possession. He then won a free, which Conor Cox put over in the 39th minute. Cox followed this with another free a minute later. Listowel all of a sudden had surged into a 4-point lead. John Mitchels looked rattled. Listowel stretched their lead once again in the 40th minute when the unstoppable Cox once again drove over another brilliant point. Listowel had kicked over 4 points in as many minutes to now lead by 5 (0-11 – 0-06). John Mitchels were finding it very hard to break down the Listowel rearguard. They had a few chances but these resulted in wides.

Billy Doyle kicked over his 2nd point of the game in the 47th minute to put Listowel 6 points ahead. John Mitchels now looked like a beaten side. Niall Sheehy kicked over another free for the visitors in the 50th minute. This was their 1st score in 13 minutes. Conor Cox was once again causing more problems for the John Mitchels defence and he kicked over yet another brilliant point in the 51st minute to put Listowel 6 points clear once again (0-13 – 0-07). The game appeared to be over as a contest. However this was to be Listowel’s last point of the game. John Mitchles to their credit never gave up and they dominated the game for most of the closing stages. Seán Moloney kicked over point in the 55th minute to narrow the gap to 5 points. John Mitchels really needed a goal if they were to have any hope of getting something from this game. They won a close range free in the 58th minute, which Niall Sheehy tapped over. John Mitchels were finishing off the game very strongly. John Mitchels midfielder Wayne Conway kicked over a well-worked score in the 2nd minute of injury time to leave just 3 points between the sides (0-13 - 0-10). Listowel had been in a commanding position but they had left John Mitchels back into it. The next kickout was vital. John Mitchels won it but Listowel players applied pressure and John Mitcels conceded a free for over carrying. The referee then blew for full time.

This was an entertaining game of football played in a very sporting manner. Listowel looked as if they were going to run away with it. Credit must go to John Mitchels for getting back into it but Listowel were full value for their 3-point victory.

Both sides are out next Sunday in the Quarter Finals of the Castleisland Co-op Mart Intermediate Football Championship. Listowel entertain Castlegregory while John Mitchels welcome St. Mary’s Cahirciveen to Tralee.

Listowel Emmets: 1. Shane Quinn 2. Bryan Greaney 3. Brendan Guiney 4. Jack McGuire 5. Ger McCarthy 6. Denis Walsh (Captain) 7. Brian McGuire 8. Brendan Flavin (John Heaphy 53rd minute) 9. Michéal Lynch 10. David Sheehy 11. Cormac Mulvihill 12. Billy Doyle (0-02) (Eddie Joe Walsh 50th minute) 13. Bryan Murphy (0-01) 14. Noel Kennelly (0-03) (0-01 from free) 15. Conor Cox (0-07) (0-03 from frees)

John Mitchels 1. Dermot Raggett 2. John Horgan 3. Brendan O’Mahony 4. Dan Kerins 5. Oliver Coffey 6. Shane McMahon (Captain) 7. Kieran Deane 8. Brian Costelloe 9. Wayne Conway (0-01) (0-01 from a free) 10. Seán Moloney (0-01) 11. Alan O’Donoghue (0-02) 12. John Higgins 13. Niall Sheehy (0-04) (0-01 side line 0-03 from frees) 14. Peter Nammock 15. Jamie Moriarty (0-02 (0-01 from a free)
Referee Christy Crowley from Gneeveguilla
Round 2: Listowel Emmets V Skellig Rgrs in Portmagee on Sunday 7th April at 2pm
Result: Listowel Emmets 1-04 Skellig Rgrs 1-17
Round 3: Listowel Emmets V St. Pat's Blennerville on Sat 13th April at 6pm
Result: Listowel Emmets 0-15 St. Pat's 1-12
Listowel Emmets and St. Pat’s Blennerville played out a thrilling contest at Frank Sheehy Park in Round 3 of the Credit Union County Senior Football League Division 2. Conditions were wet and greasy and were certainly not ideal for free flowing football but both teams played attacking football that yielded 28 scores over the hour.
Listowel Emmets were forced to lineout without Brian McGuire, Jack McGuire and Noel Kennelly. Both of the McGuire’s were injured and Noel Kennelly was unavailable.
St. Pat’s got off to a flying start. Brendan Poff won a free, which Kiaran Hurley converted in the 1st minute. 3 minutes later Andy Byrne won a free 21-yards out on the sideline. Kiran Hurley made no mistake from what was a difficult free. St. Pat’s were looking sharp and were on top in the opening minutes. Listowel had yet to get to grips with the conditions. Bryan Murphy drove over Listowel’s 1st point in the 6th minute. Cormac Mulvihill then won a close range free that Conor Cox put over to bring the sides level after 7 minutes. Listowel went in front in the 8th minute. Denis Walsh ran forward and was fouled directly on front of goal. Conor Cox tapped over the free to put the home side in front for the 1st time. St. Pat’s won another free, which David O’Callaghan took from 35-yards out. His attempt looked to be sailing over but it dipped viciously and it was heading for the net before Listowel’s centre back Denis Walsh got a fist on it to put it over his own bar. Listowel attacked once again but lost possession. Their forwards however were putting the St. Pat’s defence under pressure when they didn’t have the ball. St. Pat’s conceded a free for a throw ball, which Conor Cox kicked over in the 13th minute. The score was 0-04 - 0-03 to Listowel after the opening quarter.
The action was moving from one end of the field to the other and there was great pace in the game. Andy Byrne won another free which Kiran Hurley converted to bring the sides level once again in the 16th minute. Listowel then upped a gear and got on top in a number of sectors. This allowed them to get fast ball into the full forward line. Conor Cox won and converted a free to put Listowel back in front in the 19th minute. A minute later Eddie Joe Walsh drove over a great point to put home team 2 points in front. Conor Cox was causing St. Pat’s problems and he won another free, which he put over from close range to give Listowel a 3-point advantage after 22 minutes. St. Pat’s hadn’t scored in 10 minutes and were now struggling to get forward. Their luck turned in the 24th minute when they won a 45, which Kiaran Hurley took. His effort, which was only ever travelling at crossbar height, approached the very congested Listowel goalmouth at pace. St. Pat’s midfielder Liam Poff got a fist to it and sent it spinning to the top corner of the net giving Listowel goalkeeper Shane Quinn no chance. The sides were level once again for the 4th time. Listowel were rattled but attacked once again and Conor Cox drove over a brilliant point to put Listowel a point in front once again in the 26th minute. Cormac Mulvihill then drove over an excellent long-range point to extend Listowel’s lead to 2 points in the 28th minute. David O’Callaghan who was causing the Listowel defence numerous problems then scored a breathtaking point. After scything through many failed tackles he steadied himself to score from an acute angle. This cut the gap to a single point as the game approached half time. Listowel however were to finish off the half with 2 late points. Michéal Lynch won a free that Conor Cox took. Conor spotted Cormac Mulvihill free. Cormac took a shot at goal that St. Pat’s goalkeeper John Fitzgerald blocked at close range. The ball spun back out and Bryan Murphy put over his 2nd point of the game after 30 minutes. Conor Cox then kicked over his 7th point in 1st half injury time to give Listowel a 3-point lead at the break. Half Time: Listowel Emmets 0-11 St. Pat’s Blennerville 1-05
St. Pat’s began the 2nd half of this very entertaining game as if their lives depended on it. David O’Callaghan won a free in the 32nd minute, which was converted by Kiaran Hurley. 3 minutes Hurley drove over a 45 that was still rising when it reached the crossbar. Kiaran then drove over a superb point to bring the sides level once again for the 5th time in the game. Listowel look rattled. St. Pat’s were now dominating midfield and their defence had tightened up giving the Listowel forwards little room when in possession. St. Pat’s were back in front for the 1st time since the 7th minute when Kiaran Hurley put over a free in the 39th minute to leave the score 0-11 to 1-09. St. Pat’s had kicked 4 unanswered points and Listowel were coming under massive pressure. A massive downpour of biblical proportions then lashed down for several minutes. Listowel needed a score and they got one when Eddie Joe Walsh won a free in the 43rd minute. Conor Cox tapped over his 8th point to level the game for the 6th time. Listowel came back into the game after a very lethargic start to 2nd half. Listowel won another a minute later when wing back Ger McCarthy was fouled. Conor Cox kicked the home side into a one-point lead with just over 15 minutes remaining.
St. Pat’s attacked once again and David O’Callaghan kicked over another wonderful point to level matters once again for the 7th time in the 46th minute. The play was going up and down the field every minute and every player on the pitch was giving everything they had in terrible conditions. It was a very dark evening and the floodlights were on. Listowel were back in front again in the 48th minute. Bryan Murphy won possession after he flicked the ball up to himself and avoided a tackle. He then gave off a perfect pass to David Sheehy who was charging through. David steadied himself and kicked over a beautiful point. This was end-to-end action and both sides were playing the game in the traditional manner. Listowel corner back Jamie Barry ran forward and was fouled just as he had released possession. The ball landed in the St. Pats goalmouth so Listowel were awarded a 14-yard free which Conor Cox tapped over for his 10th point of the game in the 53rd minute. Listowel were now 2 points in front. St. Pat’s were still looking dangerous when they attacked. They had a very good chance but they conceded a free for a throw ball with 5 minutes remaining. Soon after this Kiaran Hurley missed what looked to be a scorable free. Listowel attacked looking for another point but St. Pat’s defence held firm. David O’Callaghan then got possession to drive over another majestic point from play in the 56th minute. There was a very tense finish to the game. Listowel were struggling to gain possession and St. Pat’s attacked once again. They won close range free in the 59th minute when Kiaran Hurley was fouled directly in front of the goals. He made no mistake bringing the sides level for the 8th time. The game was there for the taking once again. St. Pat’s came forward in injury time looking for the winner but Listowel were able to break up the attack. There were very few stoppages in the 2nd half so there was only half a minute of injury time played. The referee blew for full time.
This was an absorbing game of football that neither side deserved to lose. Both sides deserve great credit for the manner in which it was played. This is the 2nd year in a row that the sides have played out a draw in Division 2. The Referee Eddie Walsh from Rathmore also deserves great praise for the way he officiated to both teams. He was very consistent in his decisions and was always up with the play.
Listowel Emmets who have 1 point from 2 games played are away to Tarbert while St. Pat’s who have 3 points from 3 games entertain Gneeveguilla in Round 4.
Emmets Team 1. Shane Quinn 2. Bryan Greaney 3. Brendan Guiney 4. Jamie Barry 5. Ger McCarthy 6. Denis Walsh (Captain) 7. John Heaphy 8. Brendan Flavin 9. Michéal Lynch 10. David Sheehy (0-01) 11. Cormac Mulvihill (0-01) 12. Eddie Joe Walsh (0-01) (Martin Flavin) 13. Billy Doyle 14. Conor Cox (0-10 (0-08 from frees)) 15. Bryan Murphy (0-02) Subs not used: Conor Walsh. John James Buckley, Seán O'Mahoney, Darren Halpin, Michael O'Connor & Graeme Tarrant.
St. Pat’s Blennerville 1. John Fitzgerald 2. Paudie O’Connor 3. Derek O’Sullivan 4. Eoin Murphy 5. Luke Mulligan 6. Adrian Greaney (Seán Hayes) 7. Tommy O’Connor 8. Liam Poff (1-00) 9. Michael O’Sullivan 10. David O’Callaghan (0-04 (0-01 from a free)) 11. Liam O’Sullivan 12. Brendan Poff 13. Andy Byrne (Gary Savage) 14. Thomas Greaney (Adrian Greaney) 15. Kiaran Hurley (0-08 (0-05 from frees & 0-01 – 45))
Referee: Eddie Walsh - Rathmore
Round 4: Listowel Emmets V Tarbert in Tarbert on Sat 11th May
Result: Listowe Emmets 0-9 Tarbert 2-6
Round 5: Listowel Emmets V Kenmare in Frank Sheehy Park on Sat 18th May
Result: Listowel Emmets 2-13 Kenmare 0-06

Emmets and Kenmare met in Round 5 of the Credit Union County League Final on Saturday 18th May in Frank Sheehy Park Listowel, with heavy underfoot conditions. Emmets started much the better. Bryan Murphy collected ball from Noel Kennelly and slotted over the bar for the games opening score in the first minute to give the home team an early lead. A minute later Emmets’s corner forward Bryan Murphy won a free and it was Kennelly again who slotted it over to give Emmets a 2-point lead. Emmets were looking very sharp and they were moving the ball very well. In the 6th minute Emmets pulled 3 points clear. Noel Kennelly won possession and gave the ball off to Cormac Mulvihill who in turn passed it back to Kennelly who was in full flight. Kennelly was fouled and converted the free himself from an acute angle on the sideline. Kenmare were struggling to get into the game and they were to fall further behind when Conor Cox and Denis Walsh drove over two stunning points from play (0-04 – (0-00). Kenmare’s Mark Crowley came more into the game but unfortunately they could not create any scores from their brief spell of dominance, their first score came from Shane Duncan who worked up a good movement of play and opened their scoring. Conor Cox continued to give the Kenmare full back line a lot of problem and Kennelly converted two frees in the row to stretch Emmets lead further. Warthon and Crowley linked well to set up Kevin O’Sullivan for another good point from play to leave the half time score Emmets 0-7 Kenmare 0-2

Emmets began the 2nd half with an early point. Conor Cox won possession and was fouled and converted the free to extend the home sides lead to six points. Kenmare needed to respond and they did a minute later. Alan O’Leary put over his first pointed free. Kenmare attached again with Mark Crowley driving forward and O’Leary converted another free, as Kenmare began to settle into the game and were playing with more belief. Emmets seemed to lose their way and it’s fair to say that both defences were playing a lot tighter in the 2nd half. Bryan Murphy linked well with John Heaphy and had the option to pass off to Billy Doyle but instead sent a blistering shot past the Kenmare keeper and sent Emmets (1-11 – 0-05) clear. Emmets continued to apply the pressure with David Sheehy going on a blistering run through the Kenmare defence and slotted over a nice point. As Conor Cox made way for Martin Flavin who got stuck in straight away and linked well with Sheehy who again found Bryan Murphy and fired over his third point from play. Eddie Joe Walsh was introduced for Billy Doyle and was in the thick of the action as soon as he entered and took a nice point from play. The game was now beyond the reach of Kenmare put they continued to plug away as Crowley and O’Leary swapped points. Emmets Micheal Lynch won possession and went scything through the Kenmare defence, finding Martin Flavin who chipped the ball to Sheehy who hit the back of the Kenmare net. A further free from Noel Kennelly saw Emmets close out the game and earn the valuable two points. Listowel Emmets were the better team on the day and fully deserved their win, Kenmare were missing a few regulars on the night, but these are a young team and deserve great praise as they gave it their all and never gave up.

Referee: Paul Hayes (Kerins O’Rahilly’s)

Listowel Emmets scores: Noel Kennelly (0-5, 0-4f), Bryan Murphy (1-02), David Sheehy (1-02), Conor Cox (0-2,0-1f), Denis Walsh (C) (0-1), Eddie Joe Walsh (0-1)

Kenmare Scores: Mark Crowley (0-2), Alan O’Leary (0-2f), Shane Duncan, Kevin O’Sullivan (0-1) each

Round 6: Listowel Emmets V An Ghaeltacht in Gallarus on Sat 25th May
Result: Listowel Emmets 0-15 An Ghaeltacht 1-12
Round 7: Listowel Emmets V Gneeveguilla in Gneeveguilla on Sat 29th June
Result: Emmets 1-09 Gneeveguilla 1-09
Round 8: Listowel Emmets V Currow in Frank Sheehy Park on Sat 28th July
Result: Emmets 1-11 Currow 1-11

Emmets and Currow met in Frank Sheehy Park, Listowel on Saturday last where a great game of football played out. Conor Cox opened the scoring with a pointed free with Noel Kennelly adding another in quick succession. The Emmets pairing of Kennelly and Walsh enjoyed a lot of dominance in the opening quarter and it was not till the eight minute before Paudie Collins pointed from long range for the Currow side. Emmets continued to dominate as Bryan Murphy split the uprights with a super effort and Cox converted free. On the 24th minute Noel Kennelly found Cox on the verge of the square and rattled the ball to the Currow net putting the home side five points to the good. Currow responded well with points from Johnny Buckley and Dan O’Shea, but Emmets found a purple patch once again with Murphy and Walsh exchanging to leave the score 1-07 to 0-6 at the break.

The good crowd in attendance saw a feast of football in the second half as both teams gave it their all, with Currow getting slightly on top in the opening quarter kicking three unanswered scores  from Buckley, McCarthy and Dan O’Shea. Noel Kennelly again for the home side won possession and took a good point from play, Murphy and Cox exchanged points as the home side pushed into a three point lead, Emmets again won the kick out but as their attack broke down Currow’s Ian Somers and Seamus Scanlon held up possession sent a tricky ball into Dan O’Shea who hit the back of the Emmets net. The ascendancy was not with the visitors as McCarthy again sent over a fine point from play. Emmets were now chasing the game but Noel Kennelly with a man of the match performance took the game to Currow  found Conor Cox who converted a free from the sideline to put the sides level for the second time, Emmets were on the attack again but referee Gordon Kerins blew for full time leaving the score 1-11 a piece.

This was a game of end to end football and a hard fought battle with no side willing to give up, best for the home side were Jack McGuire, Ger McCarthy, Denis Walsh, Conor Cox and man of the match Noel Kennelly while Seamus Scanlon, Johnny Buckley and Dan O’Shea were the best for Currow.

Referee: Gordon Kerins Austin Stacks

Emmets Scorers: Conor Cox (1-4, 0-2f) Noel Kennelly (0-3), Bryan Murphy (0-2), Denis Walsh, Cormac Mulvihill (0-1)

Currow Scorers: Dan O’Shea (1-3), John Buckley(0-4), Mike McCarthy(0-2), Paudie Collins, James Daly (0-1 each)

Round 9: Listowel Emmets V Ardfert in Ardfert on Sat 17th August
Round 10: Listowel Emmets V Annascaul in Frank Sheehy Park on 29th September
Result: Listowel Emmets 3-14 Annascaul 1-11
Emmets and Annascaul met in the crucial round 10 of the County League on Sunday last in Frank Sheehy Park, the game began with the home side's Bryan Murphy splitting the uprights, followed quickly by a converted free by Conor Cox and another by Noel Kennelly, with 7 and half minutes on the clock the home side continued to lead by 3, both defences in particular were very strong until Eamonn Hickson went on a blistering run to find Kennedy who converted for the West Kerry side. Gennie Farrell sent over a long range point for the visitors and another quickly after to level up proceedings, on the kick out Annascaul dug deep again as Kennedy converted to push the West Kerry outfit in front, Emmets built from the back as Kennelly found Murphy who left his man for dead and hit the ball low to the Annascaul net. Annascaul responded well with a well taken point by their corner forward from the kick out Brendan Flavin set up Cormac Mulvihill who found Conor Cox as he made his way towards goal he was fouled and awarded a penalty which Cormac Mulvihill shot to the back of the net. Emmets were in the driving seat once again won the kick out Kennelly linked well with Jamie Barry who found his legs and bared down on goal to sent the ball to the back of the net again, Emmets continued to press on with Martin Flavin finding Billy Doyle who sent over a fine point from a tight angle to leave the half time score Emmets 3-07 Annascaul 0-6
On the resumption Annascaul brought the game to the home side but it was Conor Cox to open the scoring with a good long range effort. Annascaul found their form and converted two points in succession. On the kick out Hickson linked well with midfield and sent a dangerous ball across the Emmets square leaving their defence in disarray and the ball in the back of the net and game on. Emmets ever green Noel Kennelly caught the kick out and kicked the ball over the bar for the home side, Billy Doyle quickly converted another as the home side kicked on once more. Further points from Conor Cox, Brendan Flavin and Cormac Mulvihill sealed the home side victory. Final Score: Listowel Emmets 3-14 Annascaul 1-11. Scorers: Cormac Mulvihill (1-02, 1-00pen), Bryan Murphy (1-02), Noel Kennelly (0-3, 0-1f), Conor Cox (0-4), Billy Doyle (0-2), Brendan Flavin (0-1), Jamie Barry (1-0) Subs David Sheehy for Micheal Lynch, Jake Moriarty for Jamie Barry, Darragh Leahy for Flavin, Darren Halpin for Conor Cox.
Ref: Andy Browne (Brosna)
Round 11: Listowel Emmets V Finuge in Finuge on 27th October
Result: Emmets 1-13 Finuge 1-05
This was a must win game for Listowel Emmets if they wanted to be certain of remaining in Division 2 for 2014. They also had an outside chance of being promoted to Division 1 depending on the outcome of other games. Finuge who had already been promoted wanted to go up as Champions.
Listowel got off to a flying start. After 15 seconds of play Noel Kennelly won possession and went scything through the Finuge defence. Noel was just about to take dead aim at the Finuge goal when he was dragged down. The referee had no hesitation in awarding Emmets a penalty. Cormac Mulvihill stepped up and expertly drove the ball low and hard to the Finuge net. Bryan Murphy then slotted over a beautiful point in the 2nd minute to give the visitors a 4 point lead. Finuge needed to settle and they did when full forward Enda Galvin pounced for an opportunist goal un the 4th minute. Emmets were very dominant in most areas and pushed forward once again. Conor Cox picked up possession and kicked over his 1st point of the afternoon. Fergus Fitzmaurice responded for the home side with a free in the 10th minute.
Finuge’s defence tightened up and were now making it more difficult for Emmets to get scores. Conor Cox kicked over a brilliant point in the 16th minute to give Listowel a 2 point lead. Finuge won and converted another free in the 20th minute to narrow the gap to just 1 point 1-02 to 1-03. Noel Kennelly tapped over a close range free in the in the 21st minute. Emmets were starting to get on top again and Conor Cox kicked over another Listowel free in the 23rd minute to give Listowel 3 point lead. Finuge put over another free in the 25th minute. Listowel Emmets finished off the half strongly when Noel Kennelly dove over a massive long range point to give Listowel a 3 point lead at the break. Half Time: Finuge 1-03 Listowel Emmets 1-06
Emmets knew what they had to do if they were to avoid relegation, stay where they were or advance to the top Division of Gaelic Football in Kerry. They came out for the 2nd half in a very determined mood. Conor Cox set the tone with another brilliant point in the 31st minute. Listowel wing forward Maurice Whelan then put over a point to extend the visitor’s lead to 5 points. Listowel were really taking the game to Finuge and Cormac Mulvihill punched over a point to give Emmets a 6 point lead after 35 minutes. Jamie Barry then picked up possession and drove over the score of the afternoon from what looked an impossible angle in the 36th minute much to the delight of the Listowel supporters. Emmets were now 7 points in front and Cormac Mulvihill who was having a fine game stretched this lead to 8 points after 38 minutes 1-03 to 1-11. From here on both defences got on top and scores were hard to come by. Enda Galvin put over Finuge’s 1st point of the 2nd half from a free in the 45th minute. 
Emmets never looked like being caught and Conor Cox converted another free in the 48th minute to restore Emmet’s 8 point advantage. Emmets were much the better team and Finuge had no answer to the onslaught. The game was now over as a contest. Enda Galvin tapped over another Finuge free in the 50th minute. The final score of the afternoon came in the final minute of the game when Maurice Whelan kicked over his 2nd point. Listowel Emmets win guaranteed their status in Division 2 but other results ensured that they were promoted to Division 1 for 2014.
Listowel Emmets: 1. Shane Quinn 2. Jack McGuire 3. Brendan Guiney 4. John Heaphy 5. Ger McCarthy 6. Denis Walsh (Captain) 7. Jamie Barry (0-01) 8. Noel Kennelly (0-02) 9. Micheál Lynch 10. Maurice Whelan (0-02) 11. Cormac Mulvihill (1-02) 12. Martin Flavin 13. Billy Doyle 14, Conor Cox (0-05) 15. Bryan Murphy (0-01) Subs: Seán O’Mahony, Jake Moriarty, Darren Halpin, David Keane, Darragh Leahy, Rici Halpin, Darragh Broderick, John James Buckley, Eimhin O’Brien, Rici Hanley, Paul Kennedy, David Sheehy.