2013 Intermediate Championship

2013 Castleisland Co-Op Mart Intermediate Championship
Round 1: Listowel Emmets v Spa in Spa on Sunday 21st April at 2.30pm
Result: Spa 0-05 Listowel Emmets 0-13
Listowel Emmets qualified for the Quarter Final of the 2013 Castleisland Mart County Intermediate Football Championship against Castlegregory after a good win over Spa, Killarney on Sunday last. Playing against a strong wind in the first half, Emmets went in all square at half time 0-04 a piece, thanks to points from Conor Cox and Noel Kennelly and strong defensive work by the 6 backs especially Jack McGuire and Denis Walsh. Emmets with the aid of the breeze were soon in front with a good point from play from Conor Cox. Emmets defence were once again to the fore with Noel Kennelly getting the better of a strong pairing at midfield allowing fast ball into the forward line and in particular to Conor Cox and Bryan Murphy who duly converted. Emmets could have sealed the game earlier when Murphy's shot on goal trailed wide with 50 minutes gone in the clock. Overall this was a great win away from home.
Emmets Team 1. Shane Quinn 2. Jack McGuire 3. Brendan Guiney 4. Jamie Barry 5. Ger McCarthy 6. Denis Walsh (Capt.) 7. Brian McGuire 8. Noel Kennelly (0-02,0-01f) 9. Michéal Lynch 10. Brendan Flavin 11. Cormac Mulvihill (0-01) 12. David Sheehy 13. Billy Doyle 14. Conor Cox (0-09, 0-04f) 15. Bryan Murphy (0-1) Sub: Eddie Joe Walsh for M. Lynch (51mins)
Round 2: Listowel Emmets V Castlegregory in Frank Sheehy Park on Sunday 5th May at 2.30pm
Result: Listowel Emmets 1-12 Castlegregory 2-06
Castlegregory a Division 4 side went into this as the outsiders. Listowel Emmets a Division 2 side had home advantage but were well aware of the threat posed by the visitors. The pitch in Frank Sheehy Park was in perfect condition. There was a slight breeze that favoured Listowel in the 1st half.

Emmets started much the better. Eddie Joe Walsh who was playing at wing forward won a free in the 3rd minute which Noel Kennelly converted to give the home team an early lead. A minute later Emmets’s corner forward Bryan Murphy won a free and it was Kennelly again who slotted it over to give Emmets a 2-point lead. Emmets were looking very sharp and they were moving the ball very well. In the 6th minute Emmets pulled 3 points clear. David Sheehy won possession and gave the ball off to Cormac Mulvihill who in turn passed it off to Billy Doyle who was in full flight. Billy could have gone for a goal but he blasted it over the bar. Castlegregory were struggling to get into the game and they were to fall further behind when Conor Cox drove over a brilliant point in the 9th minute to put the Emmets 4 points in front (0-04 – 0-00). Castlegregory needed a score badly and they got one in the 11th minute. Colm O’Mahony was fouled and Alan Fitzgerald popped over the close range free. Castlegregory came more into the game as the 1st half progressed. Emmets won another free in the 15th minute when the Castlegregory goalkeeper Adam O’Donnell was adjudged to have picked the ball up off the ground. Conor Cox tapped over from close range to restore Emmet’s 4-point lead.

The game was held up for over 5 minutes between the 17th and 23rd minute when Emmet’s centre back Denis Walsh suffered a serious knee injury when he collided with his team mate Brendan Guiney. Denis who had been having a very good game had to be replaced by John Heaphy. This break in play seemed to halt Emmet’s momentum. In the 26th minute Conor Cox put over another wonderful point to stretch Emmet’s lead to 5 points (0-06 – 0-01). Listowel Emmets were looking like they were going to pull right away. Castlegregory attacked in the 27th minute. Liam Maunsell took a shot at goal. Shane Quinn the Emmets goalkeeper had no chance of getting to it. The ball slammed off the bottom of the upright and back out into goalmouth where Colm O’Mahony was waiting to drive the ball into net. Castlegregory were back in the game and they narrowed the gap to a solitary point when J.B. Spillane won a free a minute later, which Alan Fitzgerald converted. Emmets had completely dominated the 1st half and were now just a point in front after 29 minutes. They looked rattled but they finished off the 1st half with 2 late points from frees. Noel Kennelly put over his 3rd free in the 1st minute of 1st half injury time. In the 4th minute of injury time Conor Cox won a free, which Kennelly took to give the home side a 3-point lead at the break.

Half Time: Listowel Emmets 0-08 Castlegregory 1-02

Emmets began the 2nd half with an early point. Conor Cox won possession and was fouled. Noel Kennelly stepped up and put over his 5th pointed free of the afternoon. Castlegregory needed to respond and they did a minute later. Alan Fitzgerald who is a very stylish and accurate free taker put over his 3rd pointed free. Castlegregory had settled into the game and were playing with more belief. Emmets seemed to lose their way and it’s fair to say that both defences were playing a lot tighter in the 2nd half. J.B. Spillane won a free in the 36th minute. Once again Alan Fitzgerald drove over a mighty free from over 45 metres out. Castlegregory were now just 2 points behind (0-09 – 1-04). The game then saw a both sides attacking but neither defence could be breached. The football was free flowing but scores were very hard to come by.

Emmets had gone into the game as favourites but they just couldn’t seem to get on top of Castlegregory. Emmets centre forward Cormac Mulvihill won possession and went scything through the Castlegregory defence. Cormac then steadied himself and drove over a stunning point. This was the 1st score from either side in 11 minutes. A minute later Castlegregory attacked and won yet another free that Alan Fitzgerald had no trouble in converting. Emmets were just 2 points up with 10 minutes remaining, wing forward David Sheehy went off on a defence splitting run. He bore down on goal and released an unstoppable shot low in the bottom corner of the Castlegregory net much to the delight of the Listowel Emmets supporters. Emmets now had breathing space and were looking set for victory as they now had a 5-point lead (1-10 – 1-05). Cormac Mulvihill then made another great run and drove them into a 6-point lead in the 55th minute. The game appeared to be over as a contest but there was late drama in store when Castlegregory corner forward Liam Maunsell was fouled in the large parallelogram. Castlegregory had a penalty. Alan Fitzgerald made no mistake as he despatched the penalty to the roof of the net. There was just a goal between the sides once again. Emmets centre forward Cormac Mulvihill went on yet another solo run. He kicked the ball into Ger McCarthy. The ball broke lose but Ger drew on it and kicked over an opportunist point in the 1st minute of injury time. Emmets were now 4 points clear. Alan Fitzgerald kicked over his 6th pointed free in the 2nd minute of injury time to cut the gap to just 3 points deep in injury time. Castlegregory then won the kick out and attacked. They won a free, which was lobbed into the Emmets goalmouth, but Noel Kennelly won possession. The referee Denis Sayers then blew for full time.

Listowel Emmets were the better team on the day and fully deserve their place in the Semi Final. Castlegregory deserve great praise for getting themselves back into a game that at one stage looked to be drifting away from them. A telling statistic from the game was that Castlegregory scored no point from play.

Listowel Emmets 1. Shane Quinn 2. Bryan Greaney 3. Brendan Guiney 4. Jack McGuire 5. Ger McCarthy (0-01) 6. Denis Walsh (Captain) (John Heaphy 23rd minute) 7. Brian McGuire 8. Brendan Flavin 9. Noel Kennelly (0-05) (0-05 from frees) 10. David Sheehy (1-00) 11. Cormac Mulvihill (0-02) 12. Billy Doyle (0-01) 13. Bryan Murphy 14. Conor Cox (0-03) (0-01 from a free) 15. Eddie Joe Walsh

Castlegregory: 1. Adam O’Donnell 2. Padraig Rohan 3. Joe O’Connor (Captain) 4. Joe Scully 5. Gearoid Fitzgerald 6. Killlian Burns 7. Colm Sills 8. Michéal O’Shea 9. Shane Hennessy 10. Colm O’Connor (Anton Kelliher 58th minute) 11. J.B. Spillane 12. Keelin Dowling 13. Colm O’Mahony (1-00) 14. Alan Fitzgerald (1-06) (1-00 from a penalty & 0-06 from frees) 15. Liam Maunsell

Referee: Denis Sayers - Austin Stacks

Semi Final: Listowel Emmets V St. Mary's Cahirciveen in Austin Stack Park on Sunday 15th Sept at 2pm
Result: Emmets 0-09 St. Mary's 0-10
Referee: Paul Hayes - Kerins O'Rahilly's