2012 Credit Union Co League Div 2

Round 1: Emmets V Tarbert on Sat 24 March 2012 in Listowel at 4.30pm
Result: Listowel Emmets 1-09 Tarbert 0-12
Played in perfect conditions at Frank Sheehy Park last Saturday Listowel Emmets lined out with a fine blend of youth and experience. Cormac Mulvihill, Michéal Lynch and David Keane all made their full Co. League debuts. The game got off to an explosive start when Listowel’s John Heaphy pumped in a high ball to full forward Noel Kennelly. Kennelly turned and blasted the ball to the net to put Listowel a goal in front after just 21 seconds. It didn’t take Tarbert long to settle and they were soon dominant in many sectors. Points from Jamie Barry, Cormac Mulvihill, David Ryan and Noel Kennelly kept Listowel in the game. Tarbert got 2 late points to give them a 2 point lead at the break. Half Time: Listowel Emmets 1-04 Tarbert 0-09
Listowel needed to up their game in the 2nd half and they started very well when Noel Kennelly kicked over 2 frees to level the game. After 40 minutes Tarbert had gone into another 2 point lead but Listowel levelled matters again through another Kennelly free and a majestic point from Padraig Buckley. This was an absorbing contest and both teams were giving it their all to try and secure the 2 points on offer. The ball went up and down the field as the game ebbed and flowed but in the last quarter both defences tightened up and scores proved very hard to come by. There was no score from the 45th minute until the 1st minute of injury time when Tarbert scored a point to put them 1 point ahead. Listowel looked dead and buried but to their credit never gave up and went on the attack once more. In the 3rd minute of injury time Listowel full back Brendan Guiney was fouled 40 metres out. Tarbert protested to the referee but he penalised them by moving the free 13 metres closer for dissent. Noel Kennelly made no mistake as he drove over his 5th free to level the sides for the 5th time. This was to be the last action of a very entertaining game where a draw was a very fair result.
Listowel Emmets can be very happy with a point from this game as it was a massive improvement on the previous weeks display against Finuge in the North Kerry League. Everyone gave it their all and the younger members are showing great potential at this early stage of the season.
Team 1. Mikey Kennelly, 2. Jack McGuire, 3. Brendan Guiney, 4. Sean O’Mahony, 5. Ger McCarthy, 6. Shane Quinn, 7. Jamie Barry - 0-01, 8. Padraig Buckley - 0-01, 9. Denis Walsh, 10. Cormac Mulvihill - 0-01, 11. Aengus Fitzgerald, 12. John Heaphy, 13. David Keane, 14. Noel Kennelly - 1-05 (0-05 Frees), 15. Michéal Lynch Substitutes: David Ryan - 0-01 for Aengus Fitzgerald 25th minute John James Buckley for Jamie Barry 34th minute David Enright for John Heaphy 56th minute.
Round 2: Emmets V Glenflesk on Sun 15th April 2012 in Glenflesk
Result: Emmets 1-10 Glenflesk 0-16
Round 3: Emmets V Skellig Rangers on Sun 13th May 2012 in Listowel
Result: Emmets 0-06 Skellig Rangers 1-11

Played in dry but very breezy conditions Skellig Rangers comprehensively outplayed Listowel Emmets in Round 3 of the Credit Union County Senior Football League Division 2 and fully deserved their 8-point victory. Scores were hard to come early on as Listowel Emmets played against a very strong breeze. Conor Cox put the home team in front from a close range free after Jack McGuire had been fouled. Listowel were looking sharp but Skellig settled very quickly and were level after 8 minutes when Seán Courtney drove over a great point from 35 yards out. Bernard Casey added 2 frees either side of a Gary O’Driscoll point. Casey added another free in the 17th minute to leave Skellig Rangers leading 0-05 to 0-01.

Listowel were now chasing the game and needed scores badly. Noel Kennelly got on the ball and made a great run to score a brilliant point off his right boot. Gavin O’Driscoll who was having a great game added 2 more points for the visitors in the 20th and 30th minutes. Skellig Rangers were taking full advantage of having the breeze behind their backs. Shane Quinn scored a goal for Listowel but was adjudged to have been in the square before the ball arrived. Conor Cox kept Listowel in the game with another free 3 minutes minutes into 1st Half injury time. Half-Time: Listowel Emmets 0-03 Skellig Rangers 0-07

Listowel Emmets needed a good start in the second half and they got one. Conor Cox converted a 14-yard free before David Sheehy drove over a great point to reduce Listowel’s arrears to just 2 points. Listowel were now playing with more purpose and confidence. Skellig Rangers were now playing against the breeze and needed to respond. Daniel O’Sullivan who had come on a substitute late in the 1st Half hit over a point to restore Skellig’s lead to 3 points after 33 minutes. A minute later Christopher O’Driscoll fisted home a great goal for Skellig Rangers to put them 6 points ahead. Listowel heads dropped and the intensity of their challenge decreased dramatically from this point on. Alan Devane increased the visitor’s advantage with a point in the 41st minute before Daniel O’Sullivan converted a free 2 minutes later.

Skellig Rangers were now 8 points in front and the pace of the game was very flat to say the least. Listowel had no answer to the Skellig attack and were being outplayed in every sector. Brain Hickey kicked over point in the 49th minute to put 9 points between the sides. Both sides were only going through the motions in the final 11 minutes when only 1 point was scored. This was free for Listowel from Conor Cox. Skellig Rangers will be very happy after their long trip to North Kerry saw them achieve another 2 points and maintain their 100% record in this years League. Listowel host near neighbours Finuge next weekend and they will be looking to put in a better display than the one they produced today.

Listowel Emmets 1. Mike Kennelly, 2. John Heaphy, 3. Jack McGuire, 4. Ger McCarthy, 5. Jake Moriarty, 6. Jamie Barry 7. Cormac Mulvihill, 8. Padraig Buckley, 9. Denis Walsh, 10. Eddie Joe Walsh, 11. Conor Cox, 12. Shane Quinn, 13. Michéal Lynch, 14. Noel Kennelly, 15. David Sheehy, Referee; Brendan O’Riordan - Scartaglen

Round 4: Emmets V Finuge on Sun 20th May 2012 in Listowel
Result: Emmets 0-17 Finuge 1-04
Round 5: Emmets V Kilcummin on Sat 2nd June 2012 in Kilcummin
Result: Emmets 0-8 Kilcummin 0-9
Round 6: Emmets V Castleisland Desmonds on Sun 1st July 2012 in Listowel
Result: Emmets 3-06 Castleisland Desmonds 1-15

Listowel Emmets and Castleisland Desmonds met in round 6 of the county league on Sunday last in Frank Sheehy Park Listowel, the vistors opened the scoring with a point from Eoin Murphy, Emmets responed well with a fine point from 50 yards out from the boot of Shane Quinn. As the game ebbed and flowed both teams were guilty of some wayward shooting not helped by the strong breeze as David Sheehy put the home side in front. Desmonds Thomas Hickey sent a find point over to keep nothing between the teams once again, Kennelly converted a well taken penalty to put Emmets lead to 3, on the kick out Denis Walsh held a find fetch for the Listowel side finding Padraig Buckley who connected well with Noel Kennelly to see his shot hit the back of the Desmonds net as Emmets stretched their lead to six. As Emmets began to get a foothold at midfield, Aengus Fitzgerald's shot dropped short and Desmonds began to attack with Stephen Bartlett driving forward finding Eric Nelligan who shot for Emmets goal only to be denied by the keeper with the rebounding shot hitting the back of the net. Half time score Emmets 2-04 Desmonds 1-04

On the resumption Desmonds attacked from the throw in desimating the Listowel sides lead and going in front for the second time, Emmets back lines worked hard under the onslaught from the Desmonds side and punished for their wayward shooting. Emmets dug deep with Padraig Buckley finding Shane Quinn who did well to hold possession found David Sheehy who crashed the ball to back of Desmonds net for Emmets third goal to leave Emmets in front again by the bare minimum, with Conor Cox converting a free it looked like the home side would hold on. However Desmonds kept on fighting and thanks to Hickey and Bartlett drove over two pointed frees to put them two in front, in the dying minutes of the game O'Connor slipped over a third point to leave the final score Emmets 3- 6 Desmonds 1-15.

These two teams were very evenly matched, however, indiscipline by the back lines for the home side cost them dearly. Emmets next meet with St. Pat's Blennerville away on weekend of 21st July

Referee: Eddie Barrett (Knocknagoshel)

Emmets Team: Mike Kennelly, Shane Quinn (0-1), Jack McGuire, John Heaphy, Ger McCarthy, Jamie Barry, Cormac Mulvihill, Padraig Buckley, Michéal Lynch, David Sheehy (1-01), Denis Walsh, Rici Hanley, Conor Cox(0-4), Noel Kennelly, Aengus Fitzgerald.,

Round 7: Emmets V St. Pats on Sun 22nd July 2012 in Blennerville
Result: Emmets 0-14 St.Pats 1-11

Emmets returned to some bit of form against St. Pats on Sunday afternoon last in Blennerville where the ever resourceful Conor Cox took 7points from the Listowel sides 14 point tally. Emmets got off the blocks early with a pointed free from Cox in the opening minute. St. Pat's responed well with a point from David O'Callaghan. Emmets, with the wind at their backs stepped up the tempo in the second quarter, but against the run of play St. Pat's half back line ran at the Emmets defense with O'Connor sent O'Callaghan clear, and his shot trilled past the Emmets Keeper to bring them right back into it. Emmets responded well hitting four unanswered points from Cox(2), Kennelly and the young Eddie Joe Walsh, with Micheál Lynch and Jamie Barry also finding the target leaving the half time score Emmets 0-11 St. Pat's 1-03.

On the resumption, St. Pat's reorganised with a handful of substitions, and pulled back three points to leave just two between the sides, Cox finished off a move involving McGuire, Gilbert and Buckley to put three again between the sides. As the strong breeze aided the St. Pat's attack Emmets struggled to contain the now lively half forward line who found scores at their ease, The clock ticked on it looked that Emmets could hold out for victory but indiscipline in the Emmets defense saw St. Pat's earn a free which David O'Callaghan easily converted leaving the game Emmets 0-14 St. Pat's 1-11.

This game saw a number of young players make their debut for Emmets all of whom contributed well to Emmets performance, we wish them the best of luck as they take on Annascaul next weeked at home the date of fixture yet to be confirmed. Referee: Cathal O'Dubha (An Gaeltacht)

Emmets Team Conor Walsh, Pa Walsh, Jack McGuire, John Heaphy, Ger McCarthy, Brian McGuire, Sean Gilbert, Padraig Buckley, Noel Kennelly(0-1), David Sheehy, Jamie Barry(0-1), Eddie J Walsh (0-2), Conor Cox(0-7, 0-3f), Micheál Lynch (0-2), Denis Walsh (0-1),

Round 8: Emmets V Annascaul on 29th July 2012 in Listowel
Result: Emmets 0-8 Annascaul 1-12

Annascaul recorded their 3rd victory in Division 2 of this year’s Co. Senior League with a fully deserved 7-point victory over Listowel Emmets in Frank Sheehy Park last Sunday.

Annascaul played against a stiff breeze in the 1st half. Their full forward Jason Hickson put them in front from a free in the 2nd minute. Listowel replied 5 minutes later when David Sheehy picked up a loose clearance out of the Annascaul defence and drove it over the bar. A minute later James Crean tapped over a point to edge the visitors back in front. The game was being played at a good tempo and both teams equally shared possession in the opening quarter. A Conor Cox free brought Listowel back on level terms at 0-02 apiece after 12 minutes. A minute later there was a massive scramble for possession in the Listowel goalmouth. A Listowel defender was adjudged to have handled the ball on the ground and Annascaul were awarded a penalty. This was a great opportunity for Annascaul to kick on but Jason Hickson drove it high and over the bar.

In the 17th minute Listowel equalised again through another Conor Cox free. Unfortunately for Listowel this was to be their last score of the half. An Aidan Crean free edged the visitors ahead 0-04 to 0-03 after 21 minutes. A minute later Eamon Hickson stormed up the field to put Annascaul 2 points in front. Listowel had lost their shape and were being dominated by Annascaul in many sectors. Jason Hickson punished Listowel with 2 frees in the 23rd and 25th minute to leave Annascaul 4 points in front. Former Kerry star Genie Farrell tapped over a point to extend the advantage. Listowel were in serious trouble and fell further behind when James Scanlon raced forward from his full back position to put Annascaul 6 in front as Half-Time approached. Listowel just had no response and whatever chance they had was all but gone in the 2nd minute of 1st Half injury time when James Crean blasted home a superb goal after a great run through the Listowel defence. Half-Time Score: Listowel Emmets 0-03 Annascaul 1-09

Listowel came out in the 2nd half and played some great football but their were always chasing the game. The introduction of Brendan Guiney at half time was a huge boost to the Listowel defence. Conor Cox kicked over a free in the 32nd minute. Jamie Barry then drove over a 45 in the 36th minute, which left Listowel still trailing by 7. Annascaul went completely out of the game, which was strange considering they had the wind and how dominant they had been before the break. Conor Cox added another free for Listowel in the 43rd minute to cut the gap to 6 points.

Listowel had taken over and it was now Annascaul who were now under pressure. Listowel had some good scoring opportunities but some wayward shooting was doing them no favours. Noel Kennelly tapped over a close range free in the 44th minute to reduce the gap to just 5 points. 3 minutes later and Conor Cox kicked over his 5th free to reduce the arrears to just 4 points. Listowel had a chance but they needed a goal. Annascaul were very disappointing in the 2nd half but they mustered up a late rally. Jason Hickson drove over their 1st point of the 2nd half in the 53rd minute. This was an amazing statistic. Annascaul midfielder Emmet Kennedy kicked over a great point in the 57th minute to insure that Annascaul would be leaving with the 2 points on offer. Listowel had no more to offer and the game ended rather tamely. 3 minutes into injury time Annascaul substitute James Farrell fisted over a point to leave Annascaul 7 points in front. This was the last action of what was a disappointing contest.

Listowel have only 4 points in this years League and have only 3 games left. They travel to Gallarus to take on An Ghaletacht in Round 9. Annascaul are at home to Glenflesk.

Listowel Emmets: 1. Conor Walsh, 2. Denis Walsh, 3. Jack McGuire, 4. Pa Galvin (Brendan Guiney), 5. Ger McCarthy, 6. Brian McGuire, 7. Sean Gilbert (Cormac Mulvihill), 8. Padraig Buckley, 9. Noel Kennelly (0-01) (0-01 F), 10. Michéal Lynch, 11. Jamie Barry (0-01) (0-01 45), 12. Eddie Joe Walsh, 13. Conor Cox (0-05) (0-05 F), 14. John Heaphy (Eimhin O’Brien), 15. David Sheehy (0-01)

Annascaul: 1. Tommy Pierse, 2. Colm Barry, 3. James Scanlon (0-01), 4. Andrew Finn, 5. David Clifford, 6. Eamon Hickson (0-01), 7. Garrett O’Donnell (James O’Driscoll) (0-01), 8. Emmet Kennedy (0-01), 9. Niall McKenna, 10. Aidan Crean (0-01) (0-01 F), 11. Gene Farrell (0-01), 12. P.J. Foley, 13. Shane Foley, 14. Jason Hickson (0-05) (0-03 F) (0-01 Pen.), 15. James Crean (1-01)

Referee: Jim O’Connor - Scartaglen

Round 9: Emmets V An Ghaeltacht on 19th August 2012 in An Ghaeltacht
Result: Emmets 0-8 An Ghaeltacht 1-07

Listowel Emmets travelled to Gallarus on Saturday night last where they met with An Ghaeltacht in the ninth round of the County League, It was Dara O'Sé of An Gaeltacht that opened the scoring for the home side on the fifth minute, with another from Marc O 'Sé on the 8th, a strong breeze from the atlantic dictated the play in the opening half with scores hard to come by, but the steady boot of Conor Cox put the sides level inside 20 minutes, Emmets pushed on with Jamie Barry and Denis Walsh getting on a lot of ball, Eddie Joe Walsh pointed to put Emmets in front a lead which they would hold until the 33rd minute of the second half ! Padraig Buckley took a fine fetch from Emmets kick out, linking well with Denis Walsh who went on a run towards Gaeltacht goal, sent a pass to Cormac Mulvihill who was denied by the keeper. Further points from Conor Cox and Eddie Joe Walsh saw Emmets lead 0-7 to 0-2 at the break. The home side applied a lot of pressure on the Emmets defence in the opening ten minutes of the second half and brought back their deficit to three points. The weather conditions did not help as the strong wind did not aid either team, Muiris Mac Gearailt and Dara O'Sé pointed again for the home side, as the game went into injury time, An Gaeltacht were awarded a 45 which Dara O'Sé kicked and found itself in the back of the Emmets net. Gaeltacht were now a point up and got another point from a sideline ball to leave two between the sides at the final whistle.

Team: Conor Walsh, Jack McGuire, Brendan Guiney, Eimhin O'Brien, Ger McCarthy, Brian McGuire, Cormac Mulvihill, Jamie Barry (0-1(45)), Padraig Buckley, Eddie Joe Walsh(0-2), Denis Walsh, John Heaphy, David Sheehy, Noel Kennelly(0-1), Conor Cox (0-4, 0-3f)

Subs: Pa Galvin for E. O'Brien, John J Buckley for N. Kennelly, Sean Gilbert for J. Heaphy.

Referee: Brendan Twiss Milltown Castlemaine

Round 10: Emmets V Waterville on 30th Septemeber 2012 in Listowel
Result: Emmets 1-11 Waterville 1-05
Division 2 -  table toppers Waterville made the long journey to Listowel on Saturday evening. Emmets who were rooted to the bottom of the table were up against it and they required 2 wins from their 2 remaining games to be in with just a small chance of survival in the division. They were dealt a massive blow prior to the throw when their star player Conor Cox could not line out due to illness. On paper Waterville had only to turn up to collect the 2 points on offer and extend their lead at the top of the table.

Emmets started brightly and were a point in front after 45 seconds. Wing back Cormac Mulvihill won the ball and took off on a run that ended up with him being fouled 14 yards out. Noel Kennelly had no problem easing the home side into the lead. 2 minutes later Eddie Joe Walsh won a breaking ball on the 21-yard line and showed great confidence when he turned to slot over Emmets’s 2nd point. Waterville hadn’t settled and Emmets were 1st to a lot of breaking ball. Waterville came more into the game and they won a close range free in the 9th minute, which their full forward Stephen O’Dwyer converted. Emmets went very close to scoring on 2 occasions but controversially they were both waved wide when it looked like both could have been very easily given as points. Waterville midfielder Gearóid O’Sullivan kicked over a long-range point to bring the sides level on 2 points apiece after 15 minutes.

A minute later and Waterville were in front for the 1st time when Stephen O’Dwyer kicked over a brilliant point after he made a great run through the Emmets defence. Waterville had started poorly but they had got stuck in and were now looking dangerous on every attack. Emmets needed a score and they got one after 19 minutes when Eddie Joe Walsh won and converted a free on the 21-yard line. Corner forward Brian Murphy then booted the home side in front again in the 23rd minute. Emmets were playing in fits and starts but they were competing and were more than happy with their position at this stage. A minute later they were dealt a hammer blow when Waterville centre back Kevin O’Dwyer received a pass and raced through the heart of the Emmets defence before releasing a pile driver that gave Conor Walsh no chance. Waterville now had a 2-point lead 0-04 to 1-03. Emmets were rattled but they were to finish off the half much the better team. 1 minute before half time Emmets wing forward David Sheehy won position 14-yards out before be blasted low and hard in to the Waterville net. Emmets were a point in front as the game approached half time. A minute into 1st half injury time and Emmets through Eddie Joe Walsh extended their lead to 2 points. A minute later and the lead had become 3 when Emmets centre back Brian McGuire raced up the field and fisted over a brilliant point. This was an absorbing contest that ebbed and flowed and it was only half time, Listowel Emmets 1-06 Waterville 1-03

Emmets were in a great position to cause a major upset and they stretched their lead to 4 points in the 34th minute when their corner forward Michéal Lynch kicked over a great point from 40 yards out. This seemed to give Emmets great heart and they were playing as if their lives depended on the outcome. Waterville were under pressure and the Emmets defence was really on top. Emmets then pulled 5 points clear when the inspirational Noel Kennelly kicked over another brilliant point. Emmets were in complete control. In the 40th minute Emmets were denied what looked a certain penalty when centre forward David Enright appeared to have been fouled only yards from the Waterville goals but referee Ger Lynch waved play on. The ball then flew back out to Emmets corner forward Brian Murphy who drove at goal but the ball blasted off the crossbar and Waterville cleared. Waterville had no answer to the Emmets onslaught but their full forward Stephen O’Dwyer kept them in the hunt when he pointed in the 44th minute. O’Dwyer then had a goal chance 2 minutes later but Conor Walsh raced from his goal line to pull off a brilliant save.

This was a let off for Emmets and they raced up field to score another point from the boot of the brilliant Eddie Joe Walsh. This left Emmets 5 points in front 1-09 to 1-04. Waterville came back into the game but they kicked a succession of wides and had several attacks turned over. Waterville kept plugging away and they got another point in the 55th minute from their centre forward Paddy Curran. Emmets needed an insurance point and David Sheehy was the man to kick over a super point in the 57th minute. Emmets rallied again and wing back Cormac Mulvihill kicked Emmets into a 6-point lead in the 1st minute of injury time and this put the result beyond doubt. Eoin O’Sullivan kicked over a consolation point for Waterville in the 5th minute of injury time. Referee Ger Lynch then blew for Full Time.

This was great game of football and both teams have to be commended for their efforts. Waterville will be disappointed but they can still win Division 2. Unfortunately for them this now depends on how Kilcummin get on in their final 2 games. Waterville entertain Glenflesk in Round 11 while Listowel Emmets travel to Kenmare fully aware that only a victory might be able to save them from relegation.

Listowel Emmets: 1. Conor Walsh, 2. Jack McGuire, 3. Brendan Guiney, 4. Shane Quinn, 5. Cormac Mulvihill, 6. Brian McGuire, 7. Ger McCarthy, 8. Denis Walsh, 9. Noel Kennelly,10. Eddie Joe Walsh
11. David Enright, 12. David Sheehy,13. Michéal Lynch, 14. Paudie Buckley, 15. Brian Murphy: Subs: J. Heaphy for D. Enright (58mins)

Waterville: 1. Ciaran Dennehy, 2. Stephen Donnelly, 3. Daniel O’Dwyer, 4. Alan O’Dwyer, 5. Oran Clifford, 6. Kevin O’Dwyer, 7. Niall Fitzgerald, 8. Seamus O’Sullivan, 9. Gearóid O’Sullivan, 10. Alan O’Shea, 11. Patrick Curran, 12. Gary Galvin, 13. Barry O’Dwyer, 14. Stephen O’Dwyer, 15. Cormac O’Sullivan

Referee: Ger Lynch - Ballymacelligott

Round 11: Emmets V Kenmare in Kenmare on Sunday 21st October 2012 @ 2.30pm
Result: Listowel Emmets 2-13 Kenmare 0-16